Saturday, July 16, 2011

Glory Days, Rural-ness, and Growing Up In A Small Town

July 15 - Day 4:  Malad, Idaho

I'm tired.  Staying up late chatting and then getting up early to run is starting to wear on me.  Yes, I know I'm on vacation.  But maintaining a healthy lifestyle doesn't take a break, so I'm trying to do my best to not gain 10 pounds while I'm gone.  But eating my dad's pancakes this morning, having a delicious lunch at my brother's today and the prospect of getting shakes from the local Drive-In tonight makes for a GREAT Saturday!  But now for the rundown of our newest adventures....

Glory Days


My 20-year high school reunion was last night.  It was more fun and enjoyable than I could have ever hoped for.  My graduating class was all of about 53 people strong.  We had 18 people show up, which I thought was really great.  It was wonderful to chat, catch up with everyone, and laugh.  We were at the park for nearly three hours and that time flew by....just about as fast as the twenty years we've been out of high school.  So, there we are.  I'm the third from the left in the middle row.  Many of these people I've already re-connected with via Facebook, and I hope to be able to stay in touch with them through the years.  So to all who came last night....thank you!  And go Dragons!

Rural-ness












We went to visit my brother and sister-in-law and their three younguns on their not-quite-a-ranch home.  They live in Northern Utah in a small rural community on an acre of land.  Now to us City Folk, an acre is a vast expanse of space, which could easily fit four or five homes.  But to them, it's not that big and it'll do just fine, thank you very much.  But they have three big pigs (two sows and a boar), ten (or is it eleven?) piglets, two calfs, a turkey, two goats, several chickens, a few dogs.....and to me, that's a lot of animals.  But it's great to see that they are involving their kids in raising the animals.  They help feed, give water and do other small chores on their little piece of land.  I thought the piglets were cute and funny, but the highlight was getting Scott to get up on that tractor.  He said he'd do it only if I'd join him.  So, I acted like I was going to hop up there, but then turned around and got my camera and snapped some great pics of him.  Hahaha....I won!

Growing Up In A Small Town




Now you may think that I'm showcasing maybe the worst parts of my hometown of Malad.  But really, I'm letting you see the charm of where I grew up.  There are many old buildings that have gone through various transformations through the years.  They've been repurposed, remodeled, and redone.  Some are now just shells, holding treasures from years gone by (I think the American Pickers guys would have a heyday here!).  But these places are stalwarts and I know that no matter how long I'm gone, when I return, they will still be here.  Growing up here was o.k. and I am now fully a City Girl, but there is a fond place in my heart for small towns.  I know it grounded me, made me a more common sense person, and gave me a solid foundation.

Tomorrow afternoon, we head north again.  We will be staying with my sister for a night and I'm excited to see her.  It's been a year and I eagerly await to see how big her kids are now.  So until then....

Tomorrow:  Pocatello, Idaho

No comments:

Post a Comment