Thursday, August 4, 2011

We're in Missouri! At least for now....

Day 23 - August 4:  Kansas City, Missouri

(Author: Scott)

We left St. Louis and got into Kansas City yesterday.  It's about a 3 1/2 hour drive to get across Missouri. 

Before we went to our hotel, we decided we would go to Liberty Jail and check that out, which we did.  It's very interesting and when you think about the fact that the Prophet spent 5 months in what amounts to a refrigerator in the middle of winter, well it makes you think.  At least it made me think, "could I have done something like that?"  I think the easy answer is no. 


A representation of the Liberty Jail...they used some of the same stones in this as was in the original.


From there we searched out and found the, under construction, Kansas City Temple.  Until 2 days earlier, I didn't even know that construction had begun, let alone the fact that the Moroni was already on the structure and that 2/3 of the windows were already installed.  A sister in the Nauvoo Temple tipped me off on the temple and my interest was immediately peaked!  So, of course we went.

Kansas City, Missouri temple


As we were heading to our hotel, I asked Venessa to look in the newspaper to find out where the Kansas City Royals were playing.  She told me that they were home against the Baltimore Orioles.  Well, those of you who know anything about baseball this year know that those are probably two of the worst teams in all the league!  My response?  WHO CARES!  It's a Major League baseball game and I'm going!  We did a little search on StubHub and found four tickets for $22 (and that was AFTER the service fees!!!)  You would think that these would be seats out in left field, but no!  These were seats about 12 rows up un the third base side!  All I could say was, "Are you kidding???"  It was great!  The kids and I (Venessa stayed back at the hotel) had a great time!  The Royals won 6-2 and Mundo had a fun time begging for baseballs!  He didn't get a ball, but he ultimately rose out of the pile with a hot dog when the mascot was throwing them around! 


Mundo begging for a baseball....


Great seats for $20!


Today we went to Independence, MO.  We initially went to the Visitor's Center where we took a tour and I inadvertently befriended a sister missionary attempting to learn Spanish.  Well, knowing me, and 1 1/2 hours later, I had given her as much of the Reader's Digest version of Spanish 1 as I could.  Venessa was thrilled! 
Not. 

Outside the Visitor's Center

Mundo and Noodle playing in one of the miniature wagons.

Anner posing in the play log cabin.



From there, we went to the RLDS temple. 

An interesting spire.....


It turns out that all it is on the inside is a glorified meeting place.  I asked the tour guide what the difference was between the temple and a meeting house.  He told me that the presiding bishops, seventies, priests, teachers and deacons could meet there.  I looked at him like, "What???" and to not be confrontational, I let it go.  The question that still reverberates in my head is, "What's the difference between the temple and the Auditiorium?"  I still don't know and I would love to know!  Maybe some day I'll figure it out!  Until then, all I know is that the RLDS church has three buildings within a 1 block distance that all serve the same purpose.  I thought it was funny how our tour guide told us that the "Community of Christ" is a church that promotes peace.  I was tempted to ask if there were churches that promoted war, but then again, I didn't want to be confrontational...

After Independence, we had some free time, so Venessa decided to plug a mall into the GPS.  After driving a couple of miles, we arrived at the mall...it turned out being a Wal-Mart!!!  Can I say that about 60% of the people that shop at Wal-Mart stores scare the living be-jeepers out of me.  Seriously, are there really that many trailers in the Continental U.S????


Editor's Note: All comments made are not representative of the entire Peterson family, it's pets, or cars.  They are entirely for entertainment purposes and should not be held against anyone but Scott.  Just making it clear.... (from Venessa)

After our Missouri shopping mall experience, we decided to take a slightly longer drive to go to the Sweet Tomatoes in Overland Park, KS.  We're not sure exactly how much of Kansas we're going to go through tomorrow, so we decided to take the detour and make sure that the kids would have the chance to wiggle their toes on Kansas soil. 

One of the things that I have loved about this trip are all of the little, unexpected things we have been able to do.  From going to the top of the Arch, to the Royals baseball game, the little additional things are what have made this trip special for me.

Next stop:  Omaha, Nebraska (with a detour to Far West, Adam-Ondi-Ahman, and Winter Quarters)

No comments:

Post a Comment